Since the NHL salary cap was introduced in 2005, clubs have kept a close eye on two key player payroll markers - cap hit and salary. Cap hit corresponds to the dollar amount applied towards team salary cap whereas salary connotes a player's actual take home pay.
The chart below presents 2012-2013 NHL player cap hit and salary figures for the top ten players in each position as published by Cap Geek.
2013 NHL Player Cap Hit By Position
2013 NHL Player Salary By Position
Another interesting facet of modern player contracts are signing bonus payments. In terms of signing bonuses (as opposed to performance bonuses), five players will earn over $5m of their total compensation in the form of a signing bonus this year (Weber $13m, Myers $10m, Parise $10m, Suter $10m, B.Richards $8m). The genius of structuring player compensation as a bonus is that the earnings are not subject to escrow withholdings and are payable during lockouts.
In terms of length of contract, 14 players currently have contracts lasting more than 10 years. The 2013 CBA curbs this practice limiting the length of new contracts to 7 years unless a player is resigning with his current team in which case it's 8 years.
As for injuries, teams must still pay a player's salary while injured though the cap hit does not count against the club. In the curious case of Boston Bruins physically healthy goaltender Tim Thomas' decision to sit out this season despite having a year remaining on his contract, the opposite is true. Boston will suspend Thomas sparing them payment of his salary, however, Thomas' $5m cap hit will count against club.
A listing of the highest paid players in the NHL since 1990, along with the teams responsible for cutting their checks, can be found here.
* See also 2014-2015 NHL Highest Salary & Cap Hit By Position.
* See also 2013-2014 NHL Highest Salary & Cap Hit By Position.
* See also 2012-2013 NHL Highest Salary & Cap Hit By Position.
* See also 2011-2012 NHL Highest Salary & Cap Hit By Position.
* See also 2010-2011 NHL Highest Salary & Cap Hit By Position.
* See also NHL Highest Paid Players By Year.
* See also Rethinking NHL Player Salary Structure.
* See also NHL Minimum Wage & Maximum Wage By Year.